It's been a crazy couple of weeks in the news in Canada and I feel the need to vent.
- Don't turn in an assignment in high school? Edmonton teacher gives student a zero and the TEACHER gets suspended! WTF? Doesn't work like that in the real world or in post-secondary.
- Toronto Mayor Ford wanted to stop the city from forcing shops charging 5 cents for plastic bags. But city council decides to ban plastic bags completely! Wee!
- Newly proposed Edmonton LRT bridge design blocks the quintessential river valley view of the downtown skyline. (false palm)
- Alberta PCs receive dozens of illegal donations but when the premier was justice minister, she introduced a law in 2010 that prevented the names from being made public. Even her own riding association received illegal donations. During the election campaign, the PC party president said the donations were a mistake. Now, they are "absolutely false".
- Sentence a guy to house arrest. Next thing you know, he's shooting people in a busy downtown department store. An official then says that the house arrest system is working. Ok, genius. Whatever you say.
- Call in a drunk driver at an Alberta campground, get beaten by 3 men and 3 women who threaten to kill you. Cops then only arrest 2, leaving the other 4 behind to continue partying while telling YOU to leave. WTF? Party on!
- Kill your wife although she was passed out drunk? No jail time for you! Killing is ok! WTF?!
- Drown your two boys and get 6 years less half and time served. See you out in less than a year! "Is that all their lives are worth?" asks the grandfather. Sorry, guess not in our nonsensical liberal justice system.
- Dress up your kids in leather and chain them up, have sex with them, a girlfriend's daughter, two of your fiance's kids, sex with a dog and have your defense lawyer suggest 9-10 years because it would be "crushing"? How about life in prison? Too harsh? WTF?!?!?!?!
If that pissed you off, calm down.. there actually is some sense out there...
- Edmonton rethinks it's renamed exhibition from Capital Ex by taken suggestions. Everyone's suggesting you shouldn't have changed it from Klondike Days in the first place, but my guess is some 'genius' will think of something even dumber.
- Conservative MP introduces a private members bill to remove an old prohibition law that prevented people from buying and taking wine across provincial borders. Passes unanimously. Everyone's happy.
- No charges for store owner who pepper-sprayed and spanked (?) two armed thieves. Well, duh!