Tuesday, September 28, 2010

She had heart - Gov. Gen. Michaëlle Jean

I make it no secret that I support the institution and relevance of the Monarchy in Canada and as such, I also support the role of the Governor General as well.

This post won't go into why as I think I've already done that in a previous post somewhere.

But I did become more enthusiastic of the role because of the person who has recently served.  Her Excellency Michaëlle Jean, whose term is now coming to an end on Friday, fulfilled her duties with distinction, honour, and reputation and will be then hereafter styled as Right Honourable.  Do I wish it was extended?  You bet, but I also understand the need to give other Canadians an opportunity to serve.

Yes, I know she incorrectly said she was the head of state, but you have to admit, she had heart... and literally too!  She made frequent trips to the North and on one of them, ate seal heart with the locals. That's when she won me over.  She showed she can get her hands dirty with regular folk and wasn't ashamed of it. 

She made the government aware of the high price of quality food there, resulting in a needed gov't subsidy program.  On the international stage, she represented Canada with charm and grace, especially when President Obama came to Ottawa on his first official visit.  Her heartfelt plea for earthquake relief for her native country of Haiti was genuine and necessary.  As Commander-In-Chief of our Armed Forces, her insistence on wearing a military uniform in official ceremonies was dignified and respectful, showing her high regard for the duty of her office and especially for the men and women who proudly serve Canada's military with honour.

And of course, who can forget her decision on two occasions to respect the Prime Minister's request to prorogue parliament--one in person, and the other (unfortunately in my opinion) over the phone.

Although I wished I met her, I wish her well in her new endeavour as the United Nation's Special Envoy to Haiti, a role I know she will serve with rigour and seriousness.

Have a peak at some of her more memorable photos on CBC.ca, including her having heart:
http://www.cbc.ca/photogallery/canada/3901/

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This affirmative action, left wing bimbo should never had been appointed to anything, even a dog catcher. The moron's new appointment is one more example of how far to the left Harper has plunged!


--machiavelli

Joe said...

If ever there was a reason to dump the monarchy the appointing of Clarkson as GG was it and the appointment of Jean as GG confirmed it.

Anonymous said...

well i'll give her credit for the seal meat eating. it was nice to see her put a little hot sauce on the seal hunt debate.

thats about all.

brad

Anonymous said...

I agree with all of you guys but there is a silver lining in all of this. Now Michaelle has to go to Haiti once in a while.. the place she couldn't wait to escape. Well its a real hell hole now. (real conservative)